9.12.2008

The Downfall of Positive And Negative Stereotypes

Okay, so I was watching a Nelly video a few minutes ago, and was also thinking about this guy that I'm...dating? seeing? chillin with? (I don't know; it's...interesting to say the least)...he's Chinese, but he likes black girls, and well....it got me thinking about the media stereotypes, media depictions and the standard of beauty in the US of A, and how that can affect someone's vision of their body image.

Statistically, white women are more prone to be Aenorexic or Bulimic, and Black people have a much more positive body image, but when can that body image (no matter how positive) go bad? I will admit, my body type is not the voluptuous sex-kitten figure that men drool over when you see...well, videos like Nelly's. I don't think too negatively of myself, but it does make me notice that I am NOT at all shaped like them....I do not have the big butt nor the shapely hips, the OMFG thin waist or the big boobs. I won't say I'm average because I'm not, but it was always made quite clear to me growing up that I had a "white girl's figure" and that that particular body type (while usually being said in jest) was negatively loked upon. I've been told by family, "We gon' git sum meat on dem bones..."

So, while the supposed "healthier" body image is more prevalent in black women, why is it that you can still fell negatively about it? When does the reverse of aenorexia and bulimia become bad? When does it become unhealthy?

Just a short blurp really.

No comments: