5.27.2008

Sweet Dreams Are Made Of These...

Is it so bad to have a dream? And I don't mean the ones with Fairies and Dragons, even though those have their merits and make for some pretty good fun during the REM hours of sleep. But I mean, a rea life dream...Kind of like the happily ever after kind? And, I'm not one of those happy souls--or deluded souls, rather--that believes that happy endings end at 'I do' and 'I do'. MArriage is work too, and I work for a Family Law Attorney, and there ain't no happy endings after 'I do' and 'I do'. I asked my brother about it on Sunday. I asked: Do you think we'll ever get divorces if we get married?

This is of course because my parents got a divorce when I was very young and I always wondered if that would be me in the next twenty years. Am I going to marry someone only to realize they were a big waste of time? I only got one life (or multiple lives if you're inclined to believe in reincarnation, but I won't remember it either way) and I don't want to waste it on possibilities that just don't pan out. I don't want my only contributio to this world to be 'I had a couple of kids, yay!' Not to say that being a parent isn't it's own rewards, but I just...don't want that to be the only thing.

Here's my dream:

I want to have a husband and three children, two girls and one boy. I want to live in a coastal New England town where everybody knows everybody, and my husband is an architect who flies overseas sometimes, does fantastic work and always comes home to his family (and doesn't cheat on me at all, even though the temptation can be great). I want two dogs: one an Alaskan husky and the other whichever fate decides to gift me with. I want a parakeet, three cats and a gofer. I want to be a writer whose books have been on the New York Times' Bestsellers' list multiple times and at least for sixty weeks and with millions of copies sold.

I want a house that looks like an old styled manor, with 22 acres worth of land, a giant lake and a giant willow tree that's about three hundred years old, and at night the whole place sparkles with fireflies like fairies live there.

Now, that's just a really far-fetched dream, I suppose, but...

It'd be cool if it happened, yes?

No comments: